Professional sports update

Mar 2, 2017

Today in Minnesota sports, we currently have five major league sports teams, including the Lynx, Timberwolves, Twins, Vikings and Wild. However, currently three of these teams are in season or preseason. These teams are the Timberwolves, Twins and Wild.

In their last ten games, the Timberwolves went 6-4 to get to a record of 25-36. Through this ten game stretch, four of the Timberwolves’ victories were over playoff teams. With 21 games left in the regular season, the Timberwolves are three games behind the Denver Nuggets for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference. Andrew Wiggins and Karl Anthony-Towns have been leading the team in their pursuit of a playoff spot. Wiggins currently has a 19 game streak of 20 points or more, while Towns has a 16 game streak.

The Twins are currently 2-4 in the Grapefruit League Standings (Spring Training-Florida). However, one of the most depressing losses was a loss on Feb. 28, where the Twins managed only three hits, no runs and gave up 23 hits and 19 runs. Pitching has been a problem for this team in the past and looks like nothing will change this season.

The Wild are currently the lone shining spot in Minnesota sports, with a record of 41-14-6 and in first place in the Central Division. The Wild are 7-3 in their last ten games and with 21 games left in the regular season, they are currently first in the Western Conference. Devan Dubnyk, goaltender, currently leads the league with a save percentage of .932 and also with 34 wins. The Wild hope to keep this momentum going and make a playoff run and hopefully make it to the Finals.