Movie Review: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Dec 20, 2016

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, a movie which takes place in between the third and fourth films, was the best Star Wars that has came out since 2005. Overall, the movie was great, yet I still found it disappointing.

It is great film, but compared to the original Star Wars, it was just okay. I would set it as my fifth favorite Star Wars movie, falling behind the original trilogy and Revenge of the Sith.

Rogue One is about the daughter of the lead designer of the Imperial weapon known as the Death Star. The story shows us her father and his hatred of the Empire, but is forced to continue with plans. His daughter, the protagonist, joins the rebellion, who is against the Empire and works to find her dad who is presumed dead since he has been missing for 13 years, while also searching for the Death Star plans, which contain it’s major flaw .

They could have made this film way better then it was. I was hoping to see the events leading to the creation of the Death Star. I wanted to see the shift that the Republic made to being the Empire. I wanted to see the rebellion rebuild from the ashes of the republic grow in strength and to see their attempts against the Empire before the main battle we see in the fourth movie.

What we got was almost the exact opposite. The movie picks up too soon to the beginning of the fourth movie. The Empire is almost in complete power, the rebellion is as strong as we see in the fourth movie and we don’t get to see those two huge superpowers of the galaxy grow. We get a bunch of no name characters who have never been heard of and have little meaning to the story in other movies.

I did like the new characters. Even though they were mostly irrelevant, they were very interesting with relations to other films. They also, even though a very small amount, included characters from previous films

Overall, I give the movie an 8.5/10 for any movie, but compared to other Star Wars films, a 6/10. A great film, but me being one of the most die hard Star Wars fans I know, it wasn’t enough.