Once a Royal: Kris Humphries

Dec 5, 2016

A young Kris Humpries talks to Coach Ken Novak.

Kris Humphries, HHS alumnus and current power forward of the NBA team the Atlanta Hawks has a story that many don’t know about.

Humphries attended HHS from 2000-2003, where some of his greatest accomplishments began.

“[After attending HHS] I have learned that I always have to stay grounded and remember who and what got me to where I am today,” Humphries said. “I also learned that there will be bumps in the road to success but you can’t let them keep you down. You have to keep pushing.”

Not only was Humphries a basketball player, but he was also a swimmer early in his childhood.

At the age of 10 years old, Humphries became the best swimmer in the nation for six events. Including beating young Michael Phelps in some of the events he swam in. Additionally, he held the U.S. national record for the 50 meter freestyle for boys ages 10 and under.

At age 12, he stopped swimming and decided to pursue and focus on basketball instead.

By the time he was a junior, Humphries had led the Royals basketball team to a 25-2 record and helped them receive their first state championship in over 49 years.

“I was always impressed with Kris, he always had a really great systematic approach to work on his game every day. He used to get up every summer day at 6:00 am and would lift for two hours, and then shoot hoops for two hours, and then would go play with older guys and then he would come back and shoot some more,” said Coach Ken Novak Jr. “He was probably working around eight hours a day and some kids right now play an hour a day and they think that is enough… that wasn’t the case with Kris. He improved so drastically, I don’t even think he realized how much he improved from the time he got to HHS he was just okay but by the time he graduated he was one of the best players in the nation.”

Humphries averaged a double-double through his final three seasons as a member of the Royals. As a senior, he lit up the stat sheet every night including an average of 25.7 points, 11.4 rebounds and 5.0 assists.

Continuing his impressive junior season, in 2003 [senior year] he was named a McDonald’s All-American as well a part of the Super 25 Basketball Team by USA Today, named Minnesota Mr. Basketball and State Player of the Year. He also was one of the 10 finalists in Naismith Prep Player of the Year award.

Throughout Humphries’ days at HHS, he learned a lot from every teacher but specifically his Coach Ken Novak Jr.

“Coach Novak taught me so many things about basketball and life it would be hard to list them all. Most importantly I saw the dedication and preparation it takes to be successful in life and basketball. Also, I saw the passion he has for the game and I try to have that same passion for the game to this day,’’ Humphries said.

Humphries was considered a five star recruit by many sources and websites, he also ranked number 15 player in the nation for the class of 2003.

“The things that I will remember most about HHS are: the strong basketball tradition, Ken Novak Sr. and Jr., the amazing fan support and the rivalry with Minnetonka. Off and on throughout the years I have played pickup basketball during the summer with Dan Coleman [HHS alum, played Basketball overseas,]” Humphries said. “Also, I have remained close friends with David Gardner who was a couple of years older than me. He currently owns a successful technology business in Chicago. It was an amazing feeling to be part of Coach Novak’s first championship, first of many to come.”

At first, Humphries had accepted an offer from Duke University, however after much thought he decided to commit to the University of Minnesota.

“There were several factors that influenced my decision to stay in state and go to the U of M. First, I wanted to continue to work with the same people that helped me get to that point. Second, I wanted to be close to my family and my grandfather who was going through some health issues at the time and I wanted him to be able to come and see me play,” Humphries said. “Also, both of my parents attended the U of M, and my father played football for the Gophers.”

After playing for the Gophers for a year, Humphries decided to declare for the NBA draft. He was selected in the first round by the Utah Jazz with the 14th pick.

Humphries has been on many NBA teams including: Utah Jazz, Toronto Raptors, Dallas Mavericks, New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets, Boston Celtics, Washington Wizards and Phoenix Suns. He has had many successful seasons in the NBA and over his whole career has averaged 6.8 points and 5.5 rebounds.

Not only is Humphries an NBA player, he also owns some of the Five Guys Burgers and Fries restaurants throughout Minnesota and Wisconsin and plans to open more in the future. He is involved in the expansions, overall business operations, major decisions and financing, but not as much in the day to day operations.

“Being an athlete helps you understand the process and work it takes to be successful at anything in life. I have also learned that things don’t happen overnight, you have to be calculated and patient in both sports and business,” Humphries said.

If Humphries had one message for all student athletes it would be to take the sacrifices now for success in the future.

“The biggest mistake an athlete can make is thinking they are doing everything possible to be the best they can when they actually aren’t,” Humphries said. “That being said, you should always keep people around you that will tell you the truth and keep you grounded.”