Movie review: Doctor Strange

Nov 10, 2016

With superhero movies still reigning supreme, Marvel proves again that obscure and weird might be exactly the kind of hero that cinemas need.

When Guardians of the Galaxy came to theaters in 2014, everyone was confused. Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk, all household names. But Star-Lord? Groot? Rocket Raccoon? Only comic fans recognized those names, and even the comic fans were surprised by Marvel Studios willingness to break the mold.

Guardians was Marvel’s first test to see if digging into their more obscure comic-book characters would work, and it did. Then, Ant-Man came into the picture, and once again proved that weird works. Doctor Strange is Marvel’s next dive into their backlog of colorful characters, and it has the same effect.

Marvel has gained enough of a reputation that now they have a chance to experiment. The hypothesis: Psychedelic magic is the boost the Marvel Cinematic Universe needs.

After a few missteps with the main group of heroes in Avengers: Age of Ultron, Marvel is course correcting and introducing new ground to play on. Where the universe was extremely tech focused up until this point, the MCU now has magic in their utility belt.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Stephen Strange, acclaimed neurosurgeon. An arrogant jerk, he lives a lavish lifestyle, his biggest worry being whether his genius medical procedures will be named after him.

This is all flipped upside down when he gets into a horrible car accident, permanently damaging his hands. After western medicine fails him, Strange turns to the east, and this sets him on a spellbinding journey to become Doctor Strange.

The magic in this movie is “trippy” to say the least. Where audiences might be expecting a more traditional “Harry Potter” approach, I suggest going in thinking more “Inception” or even “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”. The highlights of the movie are the colorful magic sequences, bringing Strange and the viewer on a trip across dimensions, and into a kaleidoscope.

The journey isn’t without it’s rocky moments. Although there are laughs, the area where Doctor Strange falls flat most is in it’s humor. The film lacks comedic timing.

Overall, Doctor strange is a trip worth taking. It’s unique, consistently entertaining, and fun throughout the movie.