Popularity in politics

Donald Trump is known for his outlandish hairstyle, billion dollar empire, and sometimes offensive behavior.

Kanye West writes platinum winning music, steals limelight from celebrities, and refers to himself as Yeezus.

Deez Nutz, or rather, Brady C. Olson, a 15 year old boy from Iowa, possesses the popular phrase ‘Deez Nutz! Got ‘em!’ and believes in cutting subsidies to oil companies.

All three of these people have hopes to become the President of the United States of America.

These Presidential hopefuls sound a little ridiculous. I mean, a billionaire, a rapper, or a comedian running our country? But maybe that’s just what America needs. After all, with the ups and downs of politics in the last two millennia, maybe what we really need is an average (or slightly above average) American.

Unfortunately, Nuts will not be running in the election due to Section 1 Article 2 of the Constitution, which states that all candidates must be at least 35 years old. However, that does not negate his outstanding approval rate of nine percent.

While I considered these presidential hopefuls, I began to think: just how easy is it to run for the President, or any political office for that matter?

When I think of the characteristics of past Presidents or Presidential candidates, words that come to me are “intelligent,” “charismatic,” “hopeful,” and of course, “patriotic.” My hesitance for these candidates is driven by one question: can these candidates measure up to our past leaders?

President Barack Obama has a political science degree from Columbia University, studied at Harvard University, and taught constitutional law at University of Chicago Law School for 12 years. His famous political slogan of “Yes We Can” made Americans eager for a better America.

Former President George W. Bush graduated from Yale University with a Bachelor’s of Art (B.A.) in History and then continued on to get his M.B.A from Harvard University. And while his speaking skills, in my opinion, were poor, he obtained an approval rating of 90 percent in 2001.

So, no, I don’t think they can compare. At least not politically.

However, Trump, West, and Nuts do have certain characteristics of a president.

Trump is so intelligent, in fact, that his smart investments and business deals have earned him a net worth of four billion dollars. West has influenced the music industry by dropping hits such as “Gold Digger” and “Bound 2” since 2004. Nuts was hopeful that his participation would gain a laugh and a legendary title.

And if all these candidates are running for President, or are at least trying, they must have a sense of patriotism and hope for America, right?

However, these prominent figureheads should understand the struggles of an American citizen. After all, before fame, they were average Americans.

Although Trump has highlighted his dislike for immigrants, especially those of Mexican descent, he should have a glimpse of the struggle a non-native goes through considering his parents are German immigrants. As the owner and investor of hundreds of companies, Trump understands the math behind expanding and creating successful businesses.

West writes and raps the struggles of those living in poverty and expresses the feelings of Americans who dream of rising to the top. As an African-American, he shares the racial conflicts every American citizen of color endures.

Nuts is a high school student that…understands the struggle of high school students?

But really, when was the last time a college graduate struggling to find a job to pay off their college loans could relate to a millionaire senator and travels on a privately owned jet? How can an American-born presidential hopeful talk about the trials of immigrants as if he went through them himself? How does a white male or female candidate understand the trials a person of color goes through?

However, I encourage you to do your research on your other options. Bernie Sanders, a Democrat from New York believes Wall Street should pay for every student to go to college. Rand Paul stands for American use of cheap and clean energy. These politicians are two of 22 candidates. Your possibilities are endless.

The choice is yours. Every four years on the first Tuesday in Nov., this year Nov. 8, you have the decision to choose your ideal leader. Your vote matters.