Student Wellness Committee works to become more prominent in HHS student’s lives

by Lucy Pierro, junior

The HHS Student Wellness Committee is striving to promote healthy living among the students around the district.

HHS is known for winning awards for their food service throughout the district, offering multiple activities after school to promote exercise, and helping Hopkins schools be chemically free and aware.

The Student Wellness Committee became more prominent in the community when the One Voice Campaign, an organization dedicated to teach Minnesota’s youth about the importance of education, helped Hopkins schools be chemically free and paid for informational posters.

In addition to One Voice, later this year the Student Wellness Committee will also partner with myHealth, another wellness organization, to bring posters on sexual health and/or mental health awareness to the bathroom stalls around HHS.

Madeline Warshaw, senior, is pairing up with Ms. Marit Lee-Dohse, Health, and Ms. Jane Kleinman, Health, to bring healthier habits to HHS students and staff.

“I think that health and wellness are really important to promote to young people. I’ve just had a great time being apart of a committee that’s been doing such great things for the school district and student body,” Warshaw said.

Last year, the Student Wellness Committee was responsible for the flash mob in the HHS Mall on Valentine’s Day to bring awareness to domestic abuse, Fuel Up for Finals, where they gave out free food the morning of finals, and Zumba and circuit classes after school.

“This is the 5th year of the Student Wellness Committee. Students want more leadership and it has been more student driven than ever before,” Kleinman said.

In October, the Student Wellness Committee’s initiative is to encourage students and staff to drink more water. They will be unveiling a water commerical, and at HHS there will be new water stations in the lunchroom and new designs and posters throughout the hallways that will encourage people to drink more water.

“All of these projects have really been a group initiative with this year’s seniors,” Warshaw said.