Project Focus feeds the hungry

• Project Focus members Alexis Dorfman, Katie Dorsher, Maria Davidson, Trianna Downing, Nika Hadley, Grace O’Neil, Sophie Boerboom, Ellie Maag, Lindsay Novak, and Morgan Downing pose in front of the 30 lunches they prepared.

• Sophie Boerboom, junior, and Katie Dorsher, senior write cards to the homeless expressing their empathy.

• Alexis Dorfman, senior, places granola bars into pack lunches. Each sack lunch had a granola bar, peanut butter and jelly or ham sandwich, a juice box, apples, and a handwritten note.

Anne Goodroad, Staff Reporter

Project Focus, a HHS club that works for homelessness awareness and relief within the community,  spent their Saturday walking the streets of Minneapolis in hopes of feeding the hungry.

Trianna Downing, junior, organized the event.

“It brought tears to my eyes seeing how much they valued the lunches. They were so friendly, saying thank you, saying ‘god bless you.’ They were the most polite people you could ever meet. We even managed to feed a family of seven people, and they said they had never met such giving people,” Downing said.

The students made 30 care packages that consisted of a granola bar, an apple, a juice box, and either a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a turkey sandwich. Each bag also included a handwritten note letting the homeless know that people cared about them.

The students drove downtown and handed out the bags on the streets surrounding the Twins Stadium and Farmer’s Market.

“The family we gave lunches to broke my heart because of how they stuck together. They stood together, hugging, blankets surrounding them. The lady I talked to said that she was with her mom, brother, and cousin. She said that they didn’t want to leave them. They were a family, and they’d get through the problem together. That was amazing,” Downing said.

Downing has handed out lunches before on her own. This time, she brought Project Focus along with her to feed even more people.

“Every time I go downtown, I see men and women, young and old with signs. People drive past and move on with their lives. I think to myself, ‘what if that was me?’” Downing said.

Downing felt that it was more meaningful to go straight to the people rather than a shelter.

“I like going to homeless shelters, but just going straight to them, that means so much more to me. They deserve to be acknowledged. It’s not about how or why they got there, but how we can get them out,” Downing said.