Senior Spotlight: Lia Harel

May 29, 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Spotlight: Lia Harel

When graduation was right around the corner, Lia Harel, senior, was gearing up to continue her career in politics and environment. Harel’s interest in the environment and politics sprung during her sophomore year at HHS.

“I joined HHS earth club, and I got connected with all of these other youth activists. It kinda launched me into lobbying and calling for change on various levels of government,” said Harel.

During Harel’s time at HHS, she worked with many different organizations which pushed for environmental reform. This year, more locally Harel worked with the city of Minnetonka to create a plan to make the community more sustainable. However, this was not the only thing that Harel worked on.

“On the state level we wrote a bill, the Minnesota Green New Deal, and unfortunately it did not get past the senate this year, but there was a lot of momentum in terms of calling for one hundred percent clean energy this year with a lot of other organizations and partners,” said Harel.

While working with a national organization called Class of 0000 (pronounced Class of Zero), Harel and others campaigned for graduating seniors to devote one minute of their speech to speaking on climate action and the need for action. As graduation season approached, this campaign started to gain more momentum.

Harel will continue her activism for the environment while attending Claremont McKenna College in California, in the Fall. Harel is going to study a major called “Environment, Politics and Economics,” which included everything that Harel was interested in.

“I hope to apply those studies to a career in either law, politics, or something like that. I’m not quite sure yet,” said Harel.