Review: Jersey Boys at Orpheum

May 3, 2018

I always knew I enjoyed Jersey Boys’ songs, but when I sat late [date] in the Orpheum theater, I had no idea that this play would have me listening the soundtrack ever since the play ended.

Jersey Boys, a play about the lives and musical journey of The Four Seasons, a  quartet group from New Jersey, in the 1960s, has been adapted into musicals and even a Clint Eastwood movie.

The group consists of Bob Gaudio, Nick Mussi, Tommy DeVito, and the infamous Frankie Valli, who ride the waves of unpredicted stardom, turbulent upbrings, crime and their relationships together.

Some of their most distinguished pieces are Sherry, Big Girls Don’t Cry, Walk Like a Man, Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You, Who Loves You and Oh, What a Night.

I would encourage anyone to see this play. Jersey Boys was the single best play I’ve ever seen. Six months ago I saw Wicked on Broadway, and that was nothing compared to this. After Wicked, I remember saying to myself “Oh, that was nice,” but with Jersey Boys, I laughed, I cried and would  see it again in a heartbeat. I’d see it right now, quite honestly.

Jersey Boys is a play with incredible balance; the way that comedy, history, music and heartbreak is tied together perfectly was truly overwhelming.

I would encourage anyone to see the show, or at least know the story. No matter if you are into theater or not (I’m not a theater fan, yet I found myself becoming obsessed with Jersey Boys), this show incorporates the theater aspect with realism, creating a genuinely wonderful story.