Girls basketball looks to take down Spuds

Jan 27, 2018

At 2:00 pm on Jan. 27 the Hopkins Royals will take on the Moorhead Spuds at Moorhead high school. The team will begin their three hour journey by bus Friday afternoon, and stay overnight in order to be prepared for their game on Saturday.

The 17-2 Royals ran off with a win against the Minneapolis North Polars in a 33 point blowout adding to a three game winning streak. The Royals will hope to keep the winning streak alive as they take on Bemidji Friday night, and then move onto Moorhead the day after.

Moorhead on the other hand have put up an 11-7 record lead by senior, Sam Haiby who scored an astonishing 46 points earlier this season will be hoping to continue the success after there previous 69-63 win against Fargo Shanley.

The Royals will once again be without superstar sophomore Paige Bueckers as she recovers from a foot injury. Coach Barry Cosgriff will be looking for seniors Raena Suggs, Angie Hammond, and Kira Mosley as well as junior Dlayla Chakolis to step in and fill that role of primary scorer.

Sophomore, Jaide Pressly and eighth grader, Amaya Battle have provided meaningful minutes to the young Royals team this season and will be relied upon to produce at the guard spots.

The Royals will go on to a five game home stand after their trip out west, and hope to finish the regular season strong.