Preview: National Signing Day

Nov 7, 2017

• Joe Hedstrom, senior, commits to University of Wisconsin-Madison for Basketball.

• Natalie DenHartog, senior, commits to the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities for Softball.

• Angie Hammond, senior, commits to Siena for Basketball.

• Kylie Hanley, senior, commits to the University of Minnesota-Duluth for Hockey.

• Evie Barczak, senior, commits to University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire for Softball.

• Amanda Olson, senior, commits to University of Wisconsin-Superior for Hockey.

• Tommy Auth, senior, commits to Ellsworth Community College for Baseball.

This Wed., November 8th, seven Royal athletes will take part in the first national signing day of the year.

At HHS, signing day consists of individually recognizing each athlete in a small ceremony in the Lindbergh center. At the ceremony, the athletes will be able to announce their commitment, say a few words about why they chose the school, and thank their family, friends, coaches and whoever else for helping them along the way.

Here is a overview of this fall’s Royal signees:

Angie Hammond, senior, will sign to play basketball at Siena College in Loudonville, New York.

“I chose Siena because it has a great nursing and health field that I’m very interested in going into for my career. Sienna is also on the East Coast and I’ve always wanted to go out that way for college,” Hammond said. “I’ve lived in Hopkins my whole life and became very comfortable here, but I’m ready to make the next step and step out of my comfort zone.”

Hammond has been a key player for the Royals girls basketball team for the past three years. Last season, Hammond averaged over eight points and six rebounds per game, helping the team to an undefeated regular season, and a second place finish at state.   

On the boys basketball side is signee Joe Hedstrom, senior. Hedstrom will sign to the University of Wisconsin – Madison.

“I kind of realized that being closer to home was something I wanted, also Wisconsin has had a history with graduating big men and obviously being one of the best programs in the nation were all parts to my decision,” Hedstrom said.

As a 6 foot 11 center, Hedstrom averaged 11 points and seven rebounds for the Royals last year. Hedstrom was offered by over ten other division-one programs before he made his choice to commit to Wisconsin.

Two Royal girls hockey players will also sign on Wednesday, Kylie Hanley, senior, will sign to the University of Minnesota – Duluth, and Amanda Olson, senior, will sign to the University of Wisconsin – Superior.

“I chose UMD because I absolutely fell in love with the school and the hockey program and I knew that I was going to fit in perfectly there,” Hanley said.

Hanley scored 24 goals and racked up 17 assists last season playing center for the Royals, she has also been verbally committed to playing hockey as a future Bulldog since her sophomore year of highschool.

Olson plays has also been a key player for the Royals and scored five goals last year. Olson is excited to be continuing her athletic career somewhere that not only fits her athletic goals, but also her academic ones.

“I chose superior because they had a really good cell-biology program and I really liked the coaches, the program, and the players,” Olson.

For spring sport athletes, softball players Natalie DenHartog, senior, and Evie Barczak, senior, and baseball players Tommy Auth, senior, and Rafael Lewis, senior, will all be taking part in signing day.

DenHartog will be signing to the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities. Last season DenHartog batted .500 and had a slugging percentage of .960.

“I chose the U because it has always been a goal and dream of mine to play at the highest level, and the opportunity to do that and represent my home state at the same time was one that I just couldn’t pass up,” DenHartog said.

Barczak will also be signing to continue her softball career. Barczak, who played center field for the Royals had an on-base percentage of .430 last season, will sign to the University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire.

“I fell in love with the campus and I really liked the attitude and atmosphere that the coach has created for the players that commit to the Blugold program,” Barczak said.

Finally, Auth will sign to Ellsworth Community College to continue playing baseball. Last season Auth played first base and batted .365 for the Royals.

“I chose ellsworth because I’m going to have the opportunity to make an immediate impact on the team. Juco was the best fit for me,” Auth said.