Is college worth it?

Oct 13, 2017

Some students may feel that college is the biggest decisions, some don’t even think of it at all. With all the stress, time and money that college brings, is it worth it? Many students at HHS are wondering this very question.

I think any college is worth it. College is not everyone’s path, but if the opportunity presents, it is worth your time and money. In today’s world, it is tough to get by on just a high school diploma. Many think they can be the next Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, both who did not graduate college. There is a very slim chance of this happening.

Ian Feagler, senior, is among many students who do believe that college is worth it. Feagler expressed that statistically, college graduates have more opportunity and earn a significantly higher rate.

I see education like an investment in yourself. The more you can educate yourself the more opportunity you have.

When the discussion about college started in my 4th-grade class, I was fascinated by it. Many do not share the same excitement about college. Among these people is Logan Freed, senior, “I ain’t going.” Freed highlighted on the fact he has three jobs, and it is just “not worth it.”

I am not saying you have to go to a 4-year college, but having some sort of degree is essential. Technical school, plumbing etc, are very valuable skills that one can go far with. 

There are many reasons why someone would choose not to go to college. Some students did not attend college because they could not afford it some would instead work and make money others had to support the family.

I think any education is priceless. This is why college is worth everything it brings, the good, bad, and ugly. If you can attend, it is a privilege that should not be taken for granted.