Steve Semler

Oct 12, 2017

Steve Semler has experience in many unique areas, from founder and owner of LearningSim, a program from companies to use as training simulations, to science fiction author to school board member to army veteran.

“From a science fiction author standpoint, I spend time looking forward. What could the future be like? And exploring both the light side and the dark side. I’d love to help steer the public schools in particular toward the light side,” Semler said.

Semler is taking a different campaign approach than others: he is running a word of mouth campaign.

“I thought that trying to reach out to people and answer questions and just spread word -of-mouth that I am available was just probably going to be good enough…At the same time I want to get my name out, but I don’t really want to compete with them,” Semler said.

Semler is also an HHS graduate and has children in the district so he understands the inner workings of the school district from a student standpoint and a parent standpoint.

If elected, Semler hopes to keep the momentum of the school board going and to create equal access to education and more opportunities for all students.

“There is a big chunk of our community that doesn’t have [experience with strong education]. We need to find ways to get children into pre-kindergarten and support them all the way through with as much as possible individualized education. Give each person the tools they need to do more than we might expect of them,” Semler said.