Royals softball falls to Edina, looks toward Champlin Park

Mario Hadley, Sports Reporter

This past Wednesday,in a Lake Conference matchup, the Royals softball team got stung by the Edina Hornets in a unexpected 11-1 loss after previously defeating them 6-1 with a fourth and fifth inning rally by the Royals.

The Hornets bats were swarming as they posted a score of 11-1 scoring four out of the seven innings to post the win.

“We have to be more consistent in our play in all areas,”said assistant varsity coach Carl Yancy.

The loss drops the Royals to 9-5 on the season and 3-3 in the conference as they travel to Champlin Park for a non-conference matchup on Friday.

The Royals are looking to look forward and keep their heads up as they take on the Champlin Park Rebels in a non-conference matchup on Friday.

Both teams are coming off tough losses, as Champlin Park was previously shut out in a loss to Blaine 6-0 on Tuesday.

Hopkins is searching for a two way performance from pitcher and batter Mackenzie Merritt, senior. The Royals are counting on her to help keep the other team from scoring and to with some base hits and RBI’s.

The Royals are 6-2 in non conference games, compared to their lake conference record of 3-3.

“Everybody’s out of conference schedule shows that they can be competitive with everybody around them,” said Yancy

The Royals are also looking their hit leader, Natalie DenHartog, junior, who has an extremely impressive 26 hits on the season in just 14 games played.

The Royals continue to push forward and hope to gain momentum today at Champlin Park High School at 4:30.

“I think we will respond very positively, I think everybody understands what to do and we are rebounding,” Yancy said