Boys’ tennis look to bounce back from the Jags

Apr 27, 2017

Jake Goldfarb, freshman, high fives Jack Ouyang, eighth grader. Royals beat the Orioles 6-1.

Mark Eliason

Yesterday, the Royals boys tennis team took on the Bloomington Jefferson Jaguars, losing the match 1-6.

This match was in an unfamiliar location for both the Royals and Jaguars, as due to the weather the match was moved from Bloomington Jefferson High School to Lifetime Bloomington.

The one and only win for the Royals came from the first doubles team: Ari Segal, freshman, and Jake Goldfarb, freshman, (both Segal and Goldfarb attend NJH) who defeated the Jaguars in a tight three set match.

The Jaguars came into the match with confidence – as they were fresh off a three game win streak, beating teams including St louis Park and Apple Valley.

After this loss the Royals move to an overall record of 1-3, but the Royals remain optimistic about the rest of the season.

“We have been struggling early in the season but I think that with a couple more practice days we should be able to bounce back for the second half,” said Felix Johnson, sophomore.

The Royals, still working to find their best lineup, have recently been changing the lineup match to match.

“I think that once we have a set lineup everyone, especially on doubles can start to get in a rhythm and start to win more matches,” Johnson said.

The Royals will face the Blake High School Bears today, April 27, and The Benilde St Margaret’s Red Knights tomorrow, April 28.