NFL Draft Thursday: Vikings possible targets and more

Apr 26, 2017

After an 8-8 season and failing to make the playoffs, the Vikings are looking to add some more tools for this season and hopefully make a push at the Super Bowl.

At the beginning of last season, Vikings starting quarterback Teddy Bridgewater went down with a season ending injury. After much consideration by the Vikings front office, the Vikings decided to deal two draft picks in return, Sam Bradford. However, one of those picks we gave up, happened to be our first round pick for this upcoming draft.

After starting the year 6-0 and going into the bye week as the only undefeated team left, the Vikings then lost four straight, and then later on ended the losing streak with a win versus the Arizona Cardinals.

The season ended with us sitting at the 3rd seed in the NFC North behind the Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions. And 9th in the NFC overall, missing the playoffs by three games.

Now looking into this season the team still is missing a few pieces. In the offseason we parted ways with star running back Adrian Peterson, and then later adding Latavius Murray from the Oakland Raiders.

Going into the season this season the Vikings are in desperate need of offensive lineman. Last year, the need for offensive lineman was probably the largest challenge the Vikings dealt with.

Additionally, the Vikings could also be targeting tight ends, cornerbacks and linebackers.

Now that we do not have any first round picks due to the trade for Sam Bradford. The Vikings will face the challenge of whether to trade into the first round for an early pick or hang on and wait for the second round. One reason why the Vikings may not move up is because of the lack of talent with the offensive lineman. However, it wouldn’t be surprise if you see a Viking pick toward the end of the first round specifically within the 22-32 range.

If the Vikings end up with one of these later first round picks they will most likely be targeting offensive lineman Cam Robinson, Ryan Ramczyk, or Forrest Lamp if he falls to our pick. Another player that could end up in purple and gold next year is Jabrill Peppers out of University of Michigan.

Although none of these are guaranteed, as of right now the Vikings have not made any moves or have publicly announced that they are interested in making any moves. If everything falls in place we could see a whole different season this year.

Look to see the Vikings as a surprise team this year, hopefully with the loss of Peterson the Vikings will be able to change the offense in a way that will allow them to be successful this upcoming season.