Player Profile: Ellen Mattson

Apr 18, 2017

Ellen+Mattson%2C+sophomore%2C+gets+lifted+in+a+trio.+Matson+performed+this+routine+at+State+2016.+

provided by Ellen Matson

Ellen Mattson, sophomore, gets lifted in a trio. Matson performed this routine at State 2016.

The Royals girls Synchronized Swimming team took their first victory of the season this year in their win against the Edina Hornets in a figure meet on Tues. April 4.

Ellen Mattson, sophomore, was a key contributor to the team’s success. To win a figure meet, a school must outscore their opponent by winning more points than them. Points are based off of technical merit.

As one of the younger members of the synchro team, Mattson has been thinking a lot about the future of the team.

“As a sophomore, I think the future of the team will be great if everyone continues to have a positive attitude and stays motivated,” Mattson said.

Last year, the Royals placed fifth overall at the state championships. Mattson and the rest of the team have aspirations to return to state and place even higher than last year.

“Synchro is a very team oriented sport, so as long as everyone sticks together and works hard, it will pay off,” Mattson said.

Though it is a team oriented sport, Mattson also has some personal goals in mind. She hopes to place at sections and make it to state for all of her routines.

The success of the synchro team is important, but Mattson also understands and values the bond the girls have with each other.

“I want to have as much fun as possible and make the most of the season while it lasts,” Mattson said.

Mattson and the Royals take on the Eden Prairie Eagles on Tues., April 18. The meet is a home, conference matchup and begins at 4 o’clock.