Boys swim/dive recap of sections: Individuals look forward to State

Mar 2, 2017

• The 200 medley relay of David Lorentz, junior, Avery Martens-Goldman, junior, Elliot Berman, NJH eighth grader, and Avi Bundt, junior, receives their fourth-place medals at the section 6AA meet.

• Avery Martens-Goldman, junior, stands with his second-place medal at the section finals meet. Martens-Goldman placed second in the 200 IM and the 100 breaststroke, qualifying for the AA state meet in both events.

• Elliot Berman, NJH eighth grader, medals in the 100 yard butterfly at the section 6AA final meet. Berman placed third in the event, swimming a time of 55.45 seconds.

After a successful prelims meet Feb. 23, the Royals swim and dive team placed fourth at the section finals meet on Feb. 25.

The Royals compete in section 6AA, which includes teams such as Edina, St Louis Park, Minneapolis Washburn and Cretin-Derham Hall. 13 Royals qualified the section finals meet.

Three swimmers stood out especially going into the section final meet: Avi Bundt, junior who placed first in the 100 free, Avery Martens-Goldman, junior who placed second in the 200 IM and 200 breast, and Elliot Berman, NJH eighth grader, who placed third in the 100 fly.

Out of the 13 swimmers and divers that competed, two made it to the state meet. Also the Royals as a team placed fourth only behind Edina, St. Louis Park and Cretin-Derham Hall.

The two swimmers who advanced to the state meet are Martens-Goldman, in the 200 IM and 100 breast, and diver Croix JoliCoeur, senior.

Although he did not advance to the state meet, Berman had a strong showing, placing third in the 100 butterfly swimming it in 55.45 seconds.

“It is a great feeling about going to state for a second year. Although my performance at sections was not up to my personal standards, I am going to work hard in practice before state so I won’t repeat that performance” JoliCoeur said.

You can watch JoliCoeur participate in the diving meet Thursday, and Martens- Goldman on Friday, both are competing at the University of Minnesota.