Once a Royal: Travis Boyd

Feb 22, 2017

Once a Royal: Travis Boyd

Great news came for Travis Boyd, HHS alumnus, on Mon., Feb. 20.

Boyd received the news that he was called up to make his NHL debut tonight with the Washington Capitals after spending the past two seasons with the Capitals AHL affiliate, the Hershey Bears.

During his time with the Bears, Boyd tallied 33 goals and 65 assists in 131 games.

Boyd played for the Royals varsity boys hockey team as an eighth and ninth grader from 2007-2009. He was a prolific goal scorer in a very competitive lake conference. Boyd led the Royals in goal scoring the two seasons he played for them, even at his young age.

As a freshman, Boyd was a star for the Royals boys hockey team. During that season, Boyd scored 26 goals in 26 games, along with 25 assists and a +/- of +21.

“I only watched him play as a squirt, but he was 10 steps ahead of everyone playing with or against him on the ice,” said Chad Nyberg, former Royals boys hockey coach.

After his great 2008-09 campaign, Boyd decided to take his talents to the US National Development Team program in Ann Arbor, playing for the U-17 squad and also appearing in one game with the U-18 team.

Not only did Boyd play for the Royals, but he was a Golden Gopher as well. The University of Minnesota hockey team went to the NCAA Tournament all four seasons Boyd played for them. Boyd had a total of 96 points playing in 148 games as a Golden Gopher.

Boyd was drafted by the Capitals with the 177th pick in the sixth round of the 2011 NHL draft.

“Travis Boyd is a Hopkins hockey legend,” said Johnny Kahner, junior. “He is known very well throughout the hopkins hockey community.”

Boyd and the Capitals will travel to Philadelphia to take on the Flyers tonight at 8:00pm ET.