Player Profile: Cole Polyak

Feb 15, 2017

Cole Polyak, senior, slides down hill.

Mr. Jeff Kocur

Cole Polyak, senior, slides down hill.

Whether he is racing down the slopes or making others around him better by leading by example, Cole Polyak, senior, always finds a way to make the HHS alpine team better.

Polyak joined the HHS alpine team because of an upperclassman he looked up to that made him feel like the HHS alpine team was the place for him.

“When I first joined the team there was a senior named Steve W,” Polyak said. “I was quite nervous about going out for the team, but Steve made me feel welcome and a part of the group, and that’s what I have tried to be all season.”

Polyak looks up to Steve and wants to be like him to the younger kids so they can be the best that they can be.

“I try to be a welcoming presence that helps to unify the team,” Polyak said. “It’s easier said than done.”

Polyak has been skiing for the past 13 years of his life and competing in alpine for five years.

“My goal is to be as fast as possible,” Polyak said.

Last thursday, the HHS alpine team competed at the annual sections meet where they finished fourth in their section. Polyak placed 31st individually which was not good enough to make the cut for the individual state competition.

“Our regular Buck Hill season races, I would usually place around 20th place,” Polyak said.

In alpine, courses change each set and many people do not count personal records, but the average alpine high school time trial is about 17 seconds.

“My main aspiration is to have both my free skiing and race runs look effortless, smooth, and fast,” Polyak said.
The individual Alpine state will be held on Valentine’s day at giants ridge.