Earth Club sells water bottles to raise money for wildflower garden

Jan 12, 2017

Many clubs at HHS want to make changes to help the school, but only one of them has bees on their side. Earth Club is holding a fundraiser to build a bee friendly wildflower garden in front of the Lindbergh center.

Owen Parry, senior, is captain of the bee team. Earth club has made saving the bees a priority this year.

“The bees are dying at an alarming rate, and we need to do anything we can to save them,” Parry said.

Pesticides and the destruction of bee habitats are ravaging the bee population across the world. According to the USDA the bee population has dropped by 40% in just a year.

Honey bees, both wild and domestic, perform about 80 percent of all pollination worldwide. Anya Steinberg, senior, Co-President of Earth Club, stresses that we need bees as much as bees needs we.

“We can’t survive without bees. Our plants, flowers and food crops will all suffer because they depend on bees for pollination,” Steinberg said.

The Earth Club is selling eco friendly water bottles to raise the money. The bottles have a wooden finish with a green logo of the earth on the side, and are available at the table during lunch hours.

Along with building the wildflower garden, the bottles kill two birds with one stone. Nhan Le, senior, Co-President of Earth Club, praises the idea.

“The water bottles are a great way to reduce plastic waste and help our own school make a bee friendly garden, an easy way to save the bees,” Le said.