Player profile: Bobby Wilson

Dec 6, 2016

The Royals boys hockey team has just began their 2016-17 season, which is a big one for goalie Bobby Wilson, junior. This season is Wilson’s first season as a varsity starter and also only his third year in the Hopkins Hockey Program as a whole.

The team is off to a bit of a slow start, being 0-3, but Wilson is staying steady in the net with a .937 save percentage, which is the tenth best in the State at the moment. Wilson knew he had a lot to work on going into this season, with the departure of Killian Quinn, HHS alumni, and Parker Swanson, senior, who moved to Michigan to play Junior Hockey.

“I’ve been working hard on my fundamentals, as well as control my movements. It’s really important to have both of those down as a goalie,” Wilson said.

Wilson has had a lot of support and help from his coaches and fellow teammates. Wilson gives a lot of credit to the coaches and Ryan St. Clair, senior, captain.

“[St. Clair] has helped me so much to grow as a teammate and a player, which is what a good captain does,” Wilson said.

The Lake Conference is an especially hard conference to be a first year varsity starter in, especially as a goalie. With the State Champion Wayzata Trojans and the State Runner-Up Eden Prairie Eagles both being in the Lake, there is some tough competition, but Wilson is excited about that.

“I’m excited to play against Eden Prairie. I want to stuff Casey Mittelstadt (Eden Prairie’s leading scorer from last season, and University of Minnesota hockey commit,” Wilson said.