What’s next for the state champs?

Boys look to continue where they left off last year after losing four senior starters

Dec 5, 2016

Ruby Krietzman

Ishmael El-Amin, senior, holds up his uniform after the AAAA state championship win.

As the clock struck zero in last year’s state championship basketball game, the Royals realized they had avenged their loss in the first round of the state championship with a 64-55 victory over the Lakeville North Panthers to become state champions.

However, according to Head Coach Ken Novak, who is in his 26th season here at Hopkins, the focus this season is not on winning the state championship again.

¨We look at it differently. We need to play the best we can play and become the best team we can be,” Novak said. “We’re not really looking at if we win so many games or if we win the state title.”

Losing talented players, like Vinnie Shahid, who is playing basketball at Western Nebraska Community College and Amir Coffey, who is playing for the hometown Minnesota Golden Gophers, will cause new Royals to step up this year.

Ishmael El-Amin and Simon Wright, seniors, were two people who Novak said need to step up and be leaders this season.

“Obviously Ish and Simon played a lot of basketball last season so they’ll be ready to go. Joe Hedstrom and Anthony Davis, juniors, will be key players this year as well. Other players will need to step up as well, but we haven’t seen who those players are yet,” Novak said.

With three of the top five scorers and rebounders, Coffey, Shahid and Xavier Johnson being in college, Hedstrom knows he will need to be a leader for the team this year because he was a factor in the Royals’ state title run.

¨I can impact the team by showing leadership and leading by example. Also, I can provide an inside presence, rebound, protect the basket and be productive with a high motor. We have some big roles for people to fill this year after losing three starters,¨ Hedstrom said.

As far as the style of play this year, it may be a little different than in past years. In past years Hopkins hasn’t had a great post game but that will change this year. That is largely due to Hopkins having tall players this year. Hedstrom is 6 ft.10in, Wright is 6 ft. 6 in, and also Boye Mafe, standout linebacker, plays basketball and is 6 ft. 5 in. Teams with good height do not necessarily have it made though.

¨I think we’re gonna be a fairly tall team. We’ll probably be a little bit different defensively because of it. Tallness is good if you’re tall and quick, if you’re tall and slow then you’re going to be in trouble. Agility and quickness are gonna be focal points this season,¨ Novak said.

The Royals toughest challenge this season will likely be the Champlin Park Rebels, who went 20-6 last season. This season, the Rebels are led by Theo John and McKinley Wright, seniors. John recently committed to Marquette and Mckinley recently committed to Dayton, which are both Division One basketball schools.

Although the Royals will play talented teams this year, they will always be considered a top team due to their coach and winning history.

“Our team has a lot of talent and I think we can really do something special if we work hard and build chemistry together. We have a lot of pieces, now we just need leadership to put them in place,¨ Hedstrom said.