New U.S. Bank stadium impacts football culture throughout Minn.

Oct 31, 2016

Photo+taken+at+Minnesota+Vikings+second+preseason+game+at+their+new+stadium.+Vikings+beat+the+Los+Angeles+Rams+27-25+on+Thu.+Sep+1st.+

Mr. Jeff Kocur

Photo taken at Minnesota Vikings second preseason game at their new stadium. Vikings beat the Los Angeles Rams 27-25 on Thu. Sep 1st.

One huge fan of the Minnesota Vikings at HHS is AJ Condon, junior, whose family has had tickets for 20+ years.

Condon has been very impressed by the new stadium atmosphere and the architecture of the building.

“I was in awe, it was the coolest thing I have ever seen. There was so much energy throughout the stadium, I actually got goose bumps when I walked through the revolving doors, seeing them open was amazing. I have never seen a better stadium,” Condon said.

In an interview with Jennifer Hathaway, Director of Communications for the MSFA [Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority], she talked about how the stadium was made possible and the importance of the stadium for Minnesota football fans and for the culture of football.

“The lease was up for the Minnesota Vikings at the Metrodome. When the lease is up, if the NFL owners approve it the team can move anywhere in the United States. I believe that the legislature and the governor felt that it was an asset to have the Vikings stay here.” Hathaway said.

“So, they passed the stadium legislation in 2012.”

The stadium was completed by June 17, 2016 six weeks ahead of schedule.

U.S. Bank Stadium has a capacity of 66,665 (expands to 73,000 for Super Bowls). It has the largest operable doors in the world. The five doors each swing out like a normal door from left to right. They’re 55 feet wide and the smallest door is 75 feet high and the largest door is 95 feet high.

“I think that Minnesota football fans can be very proud of the public and private investments in the stadium. We have an incredible cutting edge and a progressive design,” Hathaway said. “I think that Minnesota Vikings fans can be incredibly proud of the team and the authority behind the design and [HKS Architects]. I think we’ve really changed what it means to be an NFL stadium from just a big barn looking thing to actually being creative and making a statement architecturally.”

Mike Wobschall, Sales and Marketing Senior Manager for the Minnesota Vikings, said that the stadium has been a significant home field advantage with the Minnesota football culture that has exist recently.

“It’s a big deal to have a significant home-field advantage. Every team has a home-field advantage, but some advantages are bigger than others. So far, it’s clear to me that because of the crowd noise and some of the other components to how a team operates its home games the Vikings have the kind of home-field advantage that can be characterized as above average. Obviously how the team plays is the biggest factor in winning and losing, but to the extent that a home-field advantage can influence a game, I think U.S. Bank Stadium’s home-field advantage has been significant so far,” Wobschall said.  

As well something new that Condon has taken on this year, is after every Vikings win Condon celebrates by wearing a Vikings jersey to school the next day.

“The stadium has been a huge impact on how the Vikings have been playing this season, with my experience in the stadium it is ridiculous with how loud it gets on third and fourth down when we are on defense,” Condon said.

Not only has the stadium helped the success of the Minnesota Vikings, but it has also has changed football culture all around Minnesota including Minnesota high school football.  

“I don’t know that I have a great gauge on that because I am not involved in high school football at this time, but I remember playing high school football and there’s no question that what happened out on NFL fields influenced how I looked at the game and even how I tried to play it,” Wobschall said. “I would think that the Vikings success under Zimmer has only encouraged players and even coaches to have similar success and, in some cases, even duplicate the methods to finding that success.”

Lee Lehman, senior, [Right-Tackle] for the Royals football team said that the team has greatly appreciated the success of the Minnesota Vikings.

“I feel the Vikings have helped improve Minnesota high school football by truly bringing in high class men to play and coach for their team. These are players and coaches that are not only great on the field, but also do the right things off the field and don’t get into trouble for the most part,” Lehman said. “I feel like through the Vikings doing this it truly spreads a positive energy through not only Vikings fans but also all Minnesota High School football players.”

Lehman has one player in particular that has really influenced him.

“The one player I look up to on the Vikings is Chad Greenway, linebacker. I look up to him because even though I don’t play his position, he is someone who demands excellence from himself and respect from everyone he plays with or against while also being a fantastic leader off the field through his work in the Twin Cities community [earned him seven straight Walter Payton Man of the Year award finalist titles],” Lehman said.

Coach John DenHartog, Royals Head football Coach, believes that the Vikings so far successful season has helped Minnesota football culture because of the buzz that goes on.

“I think that it makes the interest level in high school football go up. When there is a buzz around the Minnesota Vikings it trickles down to college football and then high school football also. I think when the Vikings are successful and doing well and with the new stadium it creates more interest around football in general,” DenHartog said.