Music. Confidence. Inspiration: Kanye West, Saint Pablo Tour

Oct 12, 2016

Jacob Ungerman

On Oct. 10, Kanye West took the stage at the Xcel Energy Center. This show was a part of his Saint Pablo Tour.

On Tues, Oct.10, as fog filled the Xcel Energy Center in Saint Paul, a lone man stood on a small platform risen over a mosh pit of devoted fans and ground-shaking music played. That man: Kanye West.

That floating platform is just one element that makes West’s Saint Pablo Tour special. The fog that permeated the stadium made every light radiate and glow. The stage moves over the floor of “general admission” fans, who are free to wander, jump, and dance as West’s iconic discography pounds through the crowd.

At one point, Kanye transitioned into his Late Registration hit “Touch the Sky” the lights flashed, and Kanye (along with the audience) released an engrossing “Before the day I die, I’mma touch the sky.” The crowd went wild, and in true Kanye fashion, West stopped rapping and asked his team to reset where the stage was.

“That was too good. We’re doing that again,” West said.

In a quiet moment in the concert, all of the lights in the stadium turn off, but it was even brighter than before. Kanye asked his audience to all flash their phone lights, as the lights below his stage shine.

“You all are the stars, and the stage is a lone spaceship floating through,” West said.

At different intervals throughout the show, Kanye’s music stopped and was replaced by ambient horns and bass. The stages lights lowered, tilted, and flashed as different parts of the crowd were illuminated.

West performed a little bit of everything from his albums, from “All of the Lights” to “Black Skinhead” to “Stronger.” The main focus of course was his new album, “The Life of Pablo” with tracks such as “Facts (Charlie Heat Version)” and “Famous” bringing the audience to new levels of excitement.

The night ended with an emotional performance of “Ultralight Beam” as a single ultralight beam illuminated West as his stage moved to the other end of the stadium and began to lower. A chorus belted out the final words to the crowd, as West disappeared.