Royals volleyball defeats Eagles, win the Lake

Oct 12, 2016

On Monday night, the Royals Volleyball team won the Lake Conference. The last time the Royals won the esteemed Lake Conference was nine years ago. However, that all changed after the Royals defeated the Eden Prairie Eagles, 3-2.

In the first set, the Royals fell to the Eagles 28-30, and dropped the second set to the Eagles 19-25.

The Royals went into the next three sets with a different mindset.

“We started keying in on the little things and started focusing towards playing point to point, and when we did that, we started playing like our normal selves,” said Tara Lee, junior.

This change in mindset is what elevated the Royals past the Eagles, winning the third set by an impressive score of 25-18, the fourth set 25-22, and they sealed the win and Lake Conference title by winning the fifth set 15-13.

Winning the Lake Conference is always a big deal, but the Royals finally doing it after 9 years is huge for the volleyball team.

“It honestly feels amazing to win the Conference. It’s one of the toughest sports conferences in the state of Minnesota and to be the best team in that group of teams is amazing,” Lee said. “We have put a lot of time and effort into this season and it has truly paid off. I’m so proud of each and every one of my teammates and being able to be coached by this coaching staff is just an honor.”

The Royals regular season is not over quite yet, and the Royals look to close out the regular season 25-1, with their final game against the Minnetonka Skippers on Thurs. Oct 13, at 7:00 p.m in the Lindbergh Center.