Spring blood drive draws out students, staff

• On April 20, Memorial Blood Centers brought their “Bloodmobile” to HHS to take blood donations for local hospitals.

Today was the fourth time Isaac Johnson, senior, donated blood at school.

From 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., staff from the Memorial Blood Centers (MBC) worked right outside the high school doors in their “Bloodmobile.” This is the second blood drive MBC has assisted at HHS this year.

For Johnson, the experience was unlike any other.

“I watched the needle go into my arm, and they didn’t cover it up with gauze when they were putting it in. So as the needle entered, blood squirted all over my arm and shirt,” Johnson said.

Johnson was one of over fifty students and staff who donated blood today. Students like Johnson, Jordan Dunnewind, senior, and staff such as Mr. David Williams, language arts, and Ms. Kathleen Miller, Administration Secretary, are recurring donors.

When a person is eligible to donate blood, usually one “unit” of blood is taken. Each unit contains roughly a pint of blood, which is enough to save up to three lives, according to MBC.

MBC helps put on blood drives at high schools around the state, even Lake Conference neighbors Minnetonka High School and Wayzata High School.

Despite the messy start to his blood draw, Johnson is a strong supporter of donating blood.

“I want to be a doctor when I’m older, and this is the easiest way to save lives for now,” Johnson said. “Everyone always needs blood; every two seconds someone needs blood.”