Escaping classroom norm in Ceramics

Edgar Vegaespinosa, Staff Reporter

Rather than listen to a lecture or studying historical figures, in HHS’ Ceramics classes, creative and passionate students are guaranteed a unique hands-on experience.

Jessica Rusciano, junior, took Ceramics her sophomore year after switching out of a class and is certain she has made the right choice in switching. Now in Ceramics 2, Rusciano continues pursuing her passion for ceramics by working in a hands-on environment.

¨I like that [Ceramics] is hands-on work, rather than listening to a lecture,¨ Rusciano said.

Rusciano wishes to continue taking ceramics classes next year, as she enjoys her endeavors in the class and her friends.

Mr. Christian Blanck, Ceramics, has taught ceramics for the last seven years, this being his first year at HHS.

¨There aren’t many jobs where you can dress in casual attire in a ceramic studio teaching the art to bright-minded students that have a love for art,¨ Blanck said.

For students who do enjoy making art or working with their hands, Ceramics is a suggested class. However, Blanck believes that Ceramics is a unique class in the sense that anyone can take it.

¨I want students to learn how to produce something by hand with the determination it takes to get good from ground zero,” Blanck said.

Blanck tries to emphasize the idea that those in class who are willing to learn will be able to improve their skills. In order to do so, he tries to make his classes’ environments relaxed and open while students are working.

¨I want my students to work hard while having fun,¨ Blanck said.

Noah Baker, senior, has been taking ceramics since sophomore year with Ceramics 1, working all the way up to the AP Ceramics, and has been enjoying it ever since. He now offers assistance to other students in ceramics classes.

¨I really like knowing I can make something beautiful out of nothing,¨ Baker said. ¨I make mistakes about ninety-five percent of the time, and I learn from those mistakes.”

He has enjoyed seeing students in early ceramics classes improve throughout their time in class.