33 students advance to DECA state competition

Sebastien Karo, Staff Reporter

From March 6 to 8, the Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) state competition will take place at the Hyatt Regency in Minneapolis. Students from around the state, who also participate in DECA will compete, yet only a few will be selected to move onto DECA Nationals.

DECA is a business-oriented club for high school students who want to become leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, and various other business-related endeavors. Students learn skills such as problem solving, critical thinking, and team decision-making in a professional environment. Participants in DECA prepare for nearly half of the school year for the competitions where they participate in specific events. 

Joey Swanson and Joe Swenson, juniors, pose in a winning photo. They qualified for state after placing first and second in their events.
photo provided by Joey Swanson

Mr. Jesse Theirl, DECA adviser, has been helping students prepare for the competition. 

“To prepare, students meet with me based on their events to fix written projects, work on presentations, practice cases, interview, and run through sales demonstrations,” Theirl said. 

Prior to the state competition, DECA districts took place on Jan. 31 at Wayzata High School, where DECA participants competed for a spot at state. HHS students competed in the District 6 group, which included students from Wayzata High School, Eden Prairie High School, Chanhassen High School, Chaska High School, St. Louis Park High School, and Orono High School. 

Joey Swanson, junior, competed at districts in an event where he had to simulate an entry-level interview. Swanson qualified for state and placed first out of over 50 students from all seven schools. For others, however, it wasn’t as easy to qualify.

“I competed in food marketing, and I didn’t qualify at first, but then someone dropped out so I was bumped up to compete in state,” said Danny Mydra, junior.

This year, 33 HHS students qualified for state. To continue on to nationals, these students will have to perfect their performance and prepare diligently.

At state, students will be competing against the best of Minnesota, 1,500 students,” Theirl said.

For Swanson, advancing to state means more than just personal achievement.

“Before DECA, I didn’t think I was any good at business, Swanson said. “[But] qualifying for state means that I [could] pursue a business career.”