Reflections Magazine seeks art submissions

Dennis Plotkin, Staff Reporter

As the school year began, Jordan Dunnewind and Grace O’Neil, seniors, designed the annual Reflections Magazine.

Reflections Magazine features artwork from HHS students in an annual issue and showcases several different art mediums to the Hopkins community. The magazine ran inconsistently until Mr. Rob Fuhr, Tech Ed, began to supervise Reflections.

“[Reflections] started before me and ran sporadically, not every year,” Fuhr said.

Fuhr contributes to the magazine’s increased submissions by aiding O’Neil and Dunnewind in editing and publishing Reflections in an online format, facilitating the annual printing of the magazine.

“[The magazine] was more cumbersome to put together without the ability to publish and print it through online on the internet,” Fuhr said. “[Reflections] has always been a Hopkins thing; the English department published it years ago.”

Each year, Fuhr chooses two people with extensive art experience to be the editors of Reflections Magazine. This year, Fuhr chose Dunnewind and O’Neil due to their experience with different types of media.

“It is a very independent process between me and Jordan,” O’Neil said.

Dunnewind and O’Neil have been working on Reflections since the first week of school. The first submissions to the magazine came in October. However, O’Neil and Dunnewind are still accepting submissions until Feb. 28 for the next coming issue to be released in spring around April.

“[Reflections] is still open for submissions. [We are accepting] not only drawing and painting art – videos, songs, poetry, and short stories are also accepted,” Dunnewind said.

Dunnewind is enrolled in both AP Photography and AP Drawing and Painting this year. O’Neil takes AP Photography, where she is working on a Mixed Media concentration by embroidering on her photographs.

“We look for diverse types of media. We are using a QR code to connect to a video [into the magazine]. We are always looking for 3D media from all levels of HHS,” O’Neil said.

Reflections will feature many artists who have recently received Minnesota Scholastic Art Awards – across the art programs, this includes three Gold Keys, six Silver Keys, and 18 Honorable Mentions. Noah Baker, senior, will be featured for his Silver Key and Honorable Mention in ceramics.

Although the magazine has changed greatly since its start, the editors believe there is still room for improvement.

“I would like to see continued creativity in submissions. I love the different amounts of media. Art is not a concrete definition,” Dunnewind said.

O’Neil also hopes for more submissions, particularly in written forms of art.

“So far, [Reflections] has been going very strong,” O’Neil said. “[We received] a lot of media arts, but we are looking for more writing. [In the future,] I would like to get more and more people, always more writing, have old editors talk to new editors, and more submissions from different parts of the high school.”

Fuhr would also like to see the magazine increase its writing presence.

“It has good support from all the teachers, but we are looking for more writing. It is hard to get writing,” Fuhr said.

To submit any art for publication, email the editors at [email protected]. To purchase the magazine once it is published, visit http://reflectionsmagazine16.tictail.com/.