Competition One Acts advances to finals

Competition One Acts advances to finals

Andrew Zhou, Opinion Editor

Three actors, a metal table, some chairs, an electric fan, a coat hanger, and a pair of handcuffs. These are the items that the HHS theater program brought to the MSHSL One Act Play competition when they attended for the first time in over 20 years.

In stark contrast with the largely comedic One Acts to be performed in the Little Theater on Feb. 4, 5, and 6, HHS’ competition piece “Answers,” by Tom Topor, aims to discuss and expose police corruption and brutality in the 1970’s.

The play centers around the brutal interrogation held by two police officers played by seniors Asher Weisberg and Max Harlan, who are attempting to coerce a confession from a clearly innocent suspect played by Andy Schoonover, senior.

“It’s really dark and heavy and it’s really tiring to do a lot just because it’s so intense. But it’s cool to be in it and represent the school,” Weisberg said.

HHS performed “Answers” on Jan. 27 at the Academy of Holy Angels, managing to take third place out of 12 schools from across Minnesota in Sections and advance onto the next stage of competition. Hundreds of schools compete annually.

Weisberg was pleasantly surprised by his experience at competition and is excited to continue learning about high school theater programs from across the state.

“I would keep forgetting that these are people our age, high school actors, which is really cool to watch, because you don’t get to see that kind of talent every day,” Weisberg said.

Those interested in seeing the “Answers” may attend the competition Sections Finals on Feb. 6 9 am at Edina High School or attend the HHS One Acts on Feb. 4, 5, and 6, where the play will be performed at the end of the night after a viewer discretion warning.