Volleyball upsets undefeated Millers

• Tara Lee, sophomore, serves the ball to the Washburn Millers.

• The volleyball sets up the block the ball from the Washburn Millers.

• Greta Warner, junior, serves the ball to the Washburn Millers.

• Olivia Hawkins, senior, hits the ball against the Washburn Millers.

• Lauren Ortiz, junior, serves the ball to the Washburn Millers.

• Lauren Ortiz, junior, hits the ball against the Washburn Millers.

• The volleyball team pumps each other up to play another point.

• Anna Erickson, freshman, blocks the ball against the Washburn Millers.

• Anna Erickson, freshman, and Tara Lee, sophomore, block the ball against the Washburn Millers.

• Amanda Gans, senior, hits the ball against the Washburn Millers.

• Greta Warner, junior, and Anna Erickson, freshman, block the ball against the Washburn Millers.

• The volleyball team wins the Section 6AA championship game.

• The volleyball team receives their trophy after their Section 6AA championship.

Going into the game, the Millers had an undefeated season. At the end of the day, that all changed.

The first game started with a strong lead from the Millers 7-1. The Royals retaliated with a better defense and offense and eventually bettered the score with 13-10. With the Royals still closely behind, the Millers took the game 25-21.

The second game began with a lead from the Royals 5-1. The Millers’ offense came back and evened the score to 10-10. With both teams still fighting hard, the Royals led again, facing no challenge for the rest of the game. The Royals won the second game 25-21.

The third game started out with a tie 3-3. Both teams kept working for the lead, which continued the tie 9-9. Towards the end of the game, the Royals got ahead 19-15. The Millers kept fighting, but the Royals ended the game ahead 25-19.

Both teams came strong into the final game. The first point was scored by the Millers, but the Royals made sure that would come to a quick end. Hopkins took an early lead 6-1 but that didn’t last long. The Millers caught back up 11-10. Towards the end of the game, the Royals took a strong lead and the Millers couldn’t keep up. The Royals shutout the game 25-17 and are now state-bound.

Second place awards were handed out to the Millers, and following that the Royals got their first place medals. The senior leaders accepted the trophy, and the whole team celebrated their victory.

The Royals will play Prior Lake Lakers on Nov. 11 at the Class AAA State Tournament.