Students represent HHS at We Day

Representatives from HHS gather at We Day.

Trianna Downing

Dylan Judge-Steuck, Staff Reporter

On Nov. 3, We Day was celebrated in Minnesota. Various speakers, celebrities, and musicians gathered at the XCEL Energy Center to inspire students to make a positive change.

We Day is a conference that celebrates youth who have made a difference in local and global communities. The goal for the Day was “Me to We,” a campaign that strives for students to think of others before themselves.

Along with numerous other students selected from across the nation, HHS students were invited to represent their school at the event. Trianna Downing, Jordan Dunnewind, Zoe Epperson, and David Wilson, seniors, were the four students asked to attend We Day.

“Out of ten, it was an eleven,” Wilson said. “We met the Kenyan Boys Choir, we were interviewed by WCCO News, and we heard from so many speakers. It was a really inspirational day.”

The guest list included speakers such as board member of the Clinton Foundation, Chelsea Clinton, actress Lily Collins, and actor and writer Henry Winkler. Musical numbers included group duo Nico and Vinz, Ciara, the Kenyan Boys Choir, and Natalie La Rose.

“Chelsea Clinton was my favorite speaker,” Dunnewind said. “She went far beyond political boundaries that I assumed she’d stay within. She really spoke about changing the world as something everyone can do.”

The We Day event takes place all over the country from Oct. 1 to April 28 of 2016. It started in Toronto and travels all over the continent, ending its tour in Illinois.

While We Day brings in many attendees, the event can only continue by students volunteering and creating positive change.

“We need to encourage the school to continue to invest in it,” Wilson said. “And we also need to encourage students to continue to make a difference so [We Day] continues.”