Cleary qualifies for Junior Olympics in synchronized swimming

Maggie+Cleary%2C+senior%2C+rises+above+the+water+in+her+synchronized+swimming+routine.+

Maggie Cleary, senior, rises above the water in her synchronized swimming routine.

Judaisha Jackson, Staff Reporter

Maggie Cleary, sophomore, is the only student at HHS who will compete in the 2015 U.S. Junior Olympics for synchronized swimming (synchro).

Currently, Cleary competes not only on the HHS synchro team, but also with her club team, the Aqua Fins.

Cleary’s synchronized swimming career started in seventh grade.

“I joined the synchro team in seventh grade and I loved it so much I joined a club team,” Cleary said.

On a typical day, Cleary goes to school, has practice from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. and then club practice from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. One of her biggest challenges is balancing the two teams.

“Sometimes I get the routines mixed up or I bring the wrong costume to a meet,” Cleary said. “It’s really hard to balance the two sometimes, but it’s worth it.”

Maggie Cleary, sophomore, waves her arms during one of her routines.

Synchronized swimming requires advanced swimming skills, along with flexibility, strength and great poise.

At a typical synchronized swimming meet, teams are judged on their routines. Each team must incorporate lifts, kicks, and hand movements – all to the music. In addition, they must not touch the bottom of the pool.

“People underestimate how difficult synchronized swimming is,” said Cleary. “You have to hold your breathe, move around the pool, all while holding other girls up. And then you have to pretend like it’s easy.”

The Aqua Fins competed at the regional meet on May 2. The top three teams at the regional competition qualify for Nationals. Cleary’s routine team placed third.

“It’s really exciting,” said Cleary. “The other girls and I put a lot of work into our routine so it’s nice that it’s paying off.”

Because two of the people on the routine team are 18, Cleary’s team will have to compete in the 18-19 age group at Junior Nationals. Maggie’s high school experience has prepared her for older competition.

“In high school there is no age group so I’m used to competing against older girls,” said Maggie. “I’m not nervous about that at all.”

Maggie credits her motivation and ambition to her teammates.

“One of the best things about synchronized swimming is you get really close with your teammates,” said Cleary. “You spend so much time with them creating your routines, practicing, designing your suits, making your suits. I’ve formed a really close bond with all of them.”

Cleary’s teammates speak highly of her. Sarah Langaard, senior, and Cleary’s teammate on the HHS synchro team, credits her accomplishments to her leadership.

“Maggie steps in as a coach when ours can’t help,” Langaard said. “She’s very creative and she’s always coming forward with great ideas. She makes our team so much stronger.”

Cleary and her other club teammates will compete at the 2015 U.S. Synchronized Swimming Junior Olympics June 26 through July 4. Though Maggie has never performed at that level before, she believes she is ready.

“My teammates and I have been practicing nonstop,” said Cleary. “We plan on doing really well.”