2015-2016 Geoff announced

Geoff members perform in the Heritage Music Festival.

Judaisha Jackson, Staff Reporter

Over 30 students auditioned for the HHS men’s a capella group Geoff on April 20. Of those who auditioned, only six were chosen, giving the group a total of nine members for next year.

Every spring, Mr. Phillip Brown, Music, releases the Geoff audition packets. It is the student’s responsibility to be prepared for the group audition by having their part prepared.

“We try different combinations of voices singing together until we find the best overall sound,” Brown said.

An hour after auditions, current Geoff seniors call their successors to let them know they were accepted.

New members are Alex Kim, Erik Davis, Storm Stewart, and Brad Van Tatenhove, juniors, and Josh Freeman and Sam Oxford, sophomores. These six will join returning members Riley Weeks-Wynne, Max Harlan, and Brennen Ohlemann, juniors, to round out next year’s ensemble.

Bisrat Bayou, senior member of Geoff, will always cherish his time in Geoff.

“Geoff has been an honor to be a part of,” Bayou said. “The experiences I’ve had were one of a kind and music has become a bigger part of my life because of Geoff. It will be tough to say goodbye, but I know [the group] will be in great hands.”

Freeman is excited about being accepted into this prestigious group.

“I auditioned for Geoff to be with a group of guys that are as passionate about singing as I am,” Freeman said. “It’s going to make my time at HHS even better.”

Harlan is one of the three returning members for next year.

“I’m excited that I get to work with two different Geoff groups,” Harlan said. “Geoff was really fun this year, and next year will be even better.”

Bayou had one piece of advice for incoming Geoff members.

“Always show up on time unless you want to get flamed by Mr. Brown,” Bayou said.