Students and faculty participate in spring blood drive

• Taylor Vanderploeg, junior, prepares to have her blood drawn

• HHS hosted its annual Blood Drive, Wednesday, April 15

• Students of HHS prepare to get their blood drawn

• Ally Dornish, junior, and Anna Miller, senior, help organize the blood drive

Justice Feldman, Staff Reporter

On April 15, in conjunction with Memorial Blood Centers, HHS hosted the spring blood drive. Per usual, the event was held in the Old Gym.

Ms. Bobbi Pointer, school nurse, was pleased with the 69 students who signed up for the spring blood drive. In comparison, 50 students signed up for the winter blood drive.

“Donating blood is something people can do for their entire life, and most people who give blood feel really good about doing it,” Pointer said.

The American Red Cross estimates that over 41,000 blood donations are needed every day and that someone in the U.S. is in need of blood every two seconds.

“I recommend students donate blood because many people are in need of it,” said Javier Martinez-Torres, junior.

The American Red Cross states that when you eat well the morning before you donate, you decrease your risk of becoming shaky or weak after donation.

“It is important to eat a good breakfast, such as a bowl of cereal or oatmeal and some fruit, before you donate blood,” Pointer said.

This was the final blood drive the high school will hold this year.

“I have been donating blood for four years, and I have been saving lives doing so,” said Christopher Marquez-Millan, senior.