DECA members advance to international conference

• Parker Beak, Jacob Moore, Daniel Grayson, and Erik Jansa prepare to compete in the first day of competition.

• Megan Slattery and Rosey Reuder pose in the Hyatt lobby before competition.

• Kaitlyn Ho, Mary Kate Evon, Megan Slattery, Rosey Reuder, and Sarah Lentsch pose in their professional business attire after arriving at the Hyatt in Minneapolis.

• Nathan Schmid and Luke Nelson prepare for a day of competition.

• The Hopkins DECA finalists pose after the Grand Awards Ceremony.

Brian Yu, Business Editor

At the 2015 Minnesota State DECA Career Development Conference, 15 students from HHS DECA qualified to compete at the International Career Development Conferenced. Members competed from Sunday, March 8th to Tuesday, March 10th. During the conference, students from schools across the state competed in business events ranging from mock employment interviews, team role plays, and 30 page written projects and presentations.

“The International Conference provides us with a great opportunity for everyone to further their skills and network with other business minded young adults from around the world,” said Katherine Swenson, senior.

For each event at the state conference, the top three teams advanced to the International Career Development Conference in Orlando. This year there were over 1,800 students competing in the State Conference, which was the most ever in Minn. history. The 15 students from Hopkins High School qualified for the International Conference are Katherine Swenson, Brit Stein, Kaitlyn Ho, Sarah Lentsch, Kristina Myankova, Simran Mishra, Brian Yu, Chase Johnson, Mason Halpern, Jacob Moore, Nathan Schmid, Parker Beak, Celine Bartels-Mills, Ely Harel, and Jacob Elias, seniors.

“It was a good year for Hopkins DECA. There were a lot returning members coming back and I knew that they would step up to the plate and be successful. I am proud of all the students who qualified Internationals. It is the largest amount of students to qualify in my time at HHS,” said Jesse Theirl, Business.