Injury-filled wrestling team looks ahead to next year

Justin Grunseth, sophomore, grapples Minneapolis South wrestler.

Noah Kaplan, Staff Reporter

Although their record may not reflect it, the Royals wrestling season has had some upsides to reflect on their 8-17 season.

The season started out on a high note when the Royals took down Park Center in their first match of the season. Following that win, the Royals were taken down by Robbinsdale Armstrong.

With a 1-1 record in the first week of the season, the Royals had a statement to make in the upcoming tournament on Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014. The Royals took third place out of 12 teams and still had their eyes set on a great season. 

After a month of winning half the time they wrestled, the Royals placed third once again in a tournament at HHS on Jan. 3, 2015.

Throughout the rest of the season, the Royals struggled to stay healthy and had trouble finding ways to win. In the last 16 matches, the Royals only came away with four wins and had a six-match losing streak in the midst of the win drought.

Throughout the drought, the team experienced many injuries and had trouble getting around them the rest of the season.

“We were not able to reach our true potential due to injuries, but we tried our hardest to adapt to the situation given,”  said Blake Bachmeier, sophomore.

The season ended on a hard-fought loss to Minneapolis South in the first round of the 6AAA sectional tournament.  In that match the Royals were still not fully recovered from injuries, but were unable to come close, losing 19-55.

“The season was a learning experience for our team and can lead us to a positive and winning season next winter,” Bachmeier said.

In the end, much of the team will be back for at least one more season.  The Royals only had three seniors this past season, and will have a lot of returning leaders and upperclassman with five seniors and seven juniors next season.

“Watch out for us next season.” said Sam Szuba, junior.