“You Can’t Take It With You” chosen as spring play

Addie Lennon, News Editor

When Olivia Gulden, sophomore and member of Royal Productions, found out the selection for this year’s spring play, she was excited.

“It’s very funny; it’s a comedy. I think it’s going to be a very fun show. There’s a lot of different kinds of roles also,” Gulden said.

Every year, the theater program puts on three different plays. This year’s spring show is You Can’t Take It With You, a comedy that centers on the seemingly crazy Sycamore family and the unhappy Kirby’s.

I might think of a certain kid who could fit a certain role, or there may be a kid I could never imagine in a certain role. Either way, low and behold, someone comes along who is so right and so interesting. I am always astounded by the talent at HHS

— Natalie Foster, Director

“There’s a conflict between two different outlooks on life [in this play]. It’s really centered on a grandfather who lives by the motto ‘you can’t take it with you, so live every day to the fullest,’” said Natalie Foster, director of Royal Productions.

You Can’t Take It With You first premiered on Broadway in 1936, and Foster intends to stay true to the historical context that the play was written for.

“Plays were written in a certain time period, and within a certain context. I try to stay true to that. Educationally, it’s important to understand what was going on during a time period and how it informed that playwright,” Foster said.

Gulden thinks that the unique roles offered in this play will attract more to auditions.

“I think that because it’s a comedy more people will want to audition for it, but spring plays are always smaller casts, so it will probably be more competitive,” Gulden said.

Foster notes that interest in the theater program has been growing and will allow her to be more selective in cast selection.

“The momentum from some of our past shows has built. They were fun, actors had a good time and learned things, and that carried over well into this year. This continues to help us build audiences and to build our roots in the community at [HHS],” Foster said.

Tia Hernandez, junior, has also been involved with Royal Productions in the past. She expresses trust in Foster’s judgement in casting, despite the smaller cast size.

“[Foster] usually picks the best people for the role, so I’m not worried,” Hernandez said.

In order to audition, students prepare a monologue no longer than a minute. For this particular show, students prepare a comedic piece.

“For the role that I want, I’ll probably lean towards a quirkier monologue,” Hernandez said.

Audition pieces can be taken from a variety of mediums, and selections differ from person to person.

“Usually you find stuff online, or you can take out paragraphs from movies, books, TV shows – anything that will show some kind of emotion. These are comedy monologues so they’re a little bit less intimidating to prepare. You just try to make the other people at the audition laugh,” Gulden said.

Gulden also says that casting cannot be taken personally, because a variety of aspects are considered.

“Even if you are really good, you can’t always get the role you want just because you might not fit it,” Gulden said.

Foster never knows exactly what to expect until students audition. Though she may have certain ideas for students who might fit a role, she is consistently surprised with new talents.

“I might think of a certain kid who could fit a certain role, or there may be a kid I could never imagine in a certain role. Either way, low and behold, someone comes along who is so right and so interesting. I am always astounded by the talent at HHS,” Foster said.

Auditions take place in front of the director, but also in front of the other students auditioning.

“Even though I’ve acted with [my peers] throughout sophomore year and this year, I still get really nervous. In theater, I break out of so many comfort zones,” Hernandez said.

Although auditions can create stresses for Hernandez, she does not let them stop her.

“There’s still the fear of being judged, but I can be myself,” Hernandez said, “You just have to go for it.”

Auditions will take place on March 3 and 4 at 3:00 in the Little Theater. Visit hhstheater.org for more information.