Seniors recruited to take national assessment

Isabel Hall, Staff Reporter

The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) test assesses America’s students in different subject areas. The test is known in the media as the nation’s report card and given in all 50 states.

The test is comprised of three subjects: reading, science, and math. The students will only complete one section, but don’t know which subject they will be tested on until they arrive on test day.

“The NAEP takes a random sampling of students. It’s a federal requirement that a certain amount of high school seniors take the test. This year, about 80 HHS seniors received a letter in the mail saying they have been selected to take the test,” said Ms. Sarah Chamberlain, test coordinator.

“The test lasts for about 90 minutes. [Students who participate] are eligible to win two prom tickets and certificates for community service,” Chamberlain said.

Neither the students or district will ever get a result from the test. That information is sent only to the states.

Schools are picked randomly every five years, so I did this test back in 2009. We haven’t done it since,” Chamberlain said.

The results are used to compare the United States with other countries to see how our students compare to theirs in math, science, and reading skills.