Meet the contestants of Hopkins’ Next Top Royal

Trianna Downing, Staff Reporter

On Friday, January 9, HHS will be hosting the first Hopkins’ Next Top Royal. 12 nominated students will compete in a series of competitions for the title of Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins and represent the student body.

Next Top Royal was created by HHS students Kristina Myankova and Simran Mishra, seniors, through DECA, a business based club dedicated to emerging youth entrepreneurs and business leaders.

“[Hopkins Next Top Royal] is the DECA chapter making a difference in the community and helping out with something much bigger than ourselves,” Mishra said. “It’s giving us the chance to help others.”

During Next Top Royal food donations will be welcomed for Myankova and Mishra to donate to charities Auction Against Hunger and the ICA Foodshelf. Both charities are committed to ending malnutrition, ending hunger and rehabilitating developing countries around the world.

Students that were nominated for the event were done so by the student body. As the event continued voting came down to 24 students and then 12.

“The students were more than willing,” Myankova said. “We were so thankful for their help and support. Not only are the volunteering their time and talents, but they’re helping create awareness throughout our school.”

The Next Top Royal judges are Mr. Jacques Youakim, Math, Mr. Jarrin Williams, English, and Ms. Kelly Dirks, Language.

Tickets will be five dollars at the door. The event will last from 7 to 9 p.m. in the auditorium. Concessions will be sold and donations are welcomed.