Nordic competes in conference relays

• A skier tests out the race course before the start. The conference relays were held at Elm Creek.

• Trey Taylor, senior captain, stays warm before his race. Taylor’s relay finished second overall for the boys varsity.

• Seth Eliason, sophomore, skis in front of a Skipper. Eliason held him off until the very finish.

• Renae Anderson, sophomore, strides uphill. Anderson was the second leg of her relay, which finished second for girls varsity.

• Sophie Dirnberger, sophomore, watches behind to see her teammate in the exchange zone. Dirnberger’s relay placed second overall for the girls varsity.

• Theresa Versen, sophomore, pushes towards the finish line. Versen raced varsity as a freshman last season.

• David Katona, sophomore, races along the course. Katona skied the skate technique for his relay.

• Nicklaus Vander Velden, senior, double poles into the final straight. His relay team finished

• Robert Fuhr, coach, smiles after seeing the Royals’ success. Fuhr has coached the team for more than a decade.

• Skiers catch their breath after completing their relay leg. Parents volunteered to collect race bibs, bring food, and cheer.

Molly Abbott Ladner, Staff Reporter

On Dec. 4, the Royals skied in the Lake Conference Relays at Elm Creek Park. The top boys and girls varsity relays both placed in second, giving them confidence for their next race on Dec. 8.