Elementary school kids visit for Royal Opportunity Day

• Two elementary students taking a picture of themselves in Photo Booth. The students used the photo to create a button.

• Elementary student focuses on a computer while using ALIS. He programmed an ice skater to move across the surface of a frozen pond.

• Tim Amelie, Technology Education, shows off the HHS 3D printer. Amelie printed off a snowman for each of the students.

• Students use ALIS (Autonomic Logistics Information System) during their time with Tim Amelie, Technology Education. ALIS is used by HHS students in Computer Programming classes.

• Fifth and sixth grade students pose for a picture in a South Wing hallway. These students visited three different classes to experience opportunities provided by HHS.

• Brent Hering, Math, demonstrates voting on an iPad application. Students demonstrated their estimation abilities through this activity.

• Robert Fuhr, Technology Education, shows kids how to create buttons using the resources provided by HHS. Students made two buttons: one of themselves and one of a Hopkins Royals lion.

Trianna Downing, Staff Reporter

On Saturday, Nov. 15, HHS opened its doors to 280 fifth and sixth graders and their parents for the Royal Opportunity Day.

The main focus of the event was to embrace Royal pride while informing the students and parents of the junior high and high school programs. Rick Rexroth, Social Studies, was one of the many teachers that coordinated in the event.

“We want the students to know what it would be going to a Hopkins school,” Rexroth said. “We want them to have an idea of the experiences at the junior highs and the high school.”

For the fifth and sixth graders, the morning was filled with 30 minute classes where they interacted with junior high and HHS teachers and experimented with iPads.

As for the parents, the Hopkins administration informed them about the International Baccalaureate and Secondary programs at HHS. They also learned about the 16 credit option offered at HHS.

“Schools like Edina and Minnetonka have a six block schedule. There, you could take math, science, social studies, health and maybe an elective course.” Rexroth said. “[At HHS] there are so many choices. You can be in French 4 or French 5, Newspaper, and Band and still be able to take your required courses.”

One of the programs the students and parents learned about was the STEM movement at HHS.

STEM is an acronym for Science, technology, engineering and mathematics. It is a national movement dedicated to the incorporation of math and science into all courses.

“The goal is to have kids be comfortable with using technology in all courses in the junior highs and high school.” Rexroth said. “We’re really pushing for this to be a regular method in the Hopkins district.”

Rexroth hopes that this event helped students feel proud to be a Hopkins Royal.

“We want them to be all about a possible educational future here at Hopkins,” Rexroth said. “But more than anything we wanted the kids and parents to be excited about being Royal.”