Beyond statistics, scores, stardom

Madeline Martodam, Opinion Editor

Never have I been the first one to cross a finish line, score an impressive number of goals, or been the team’s MVP. In the world we live in being average doesn’t earn you the attention and admiration that comes with being a top performer.

We tend to focus on the greats, but infrequently shed light on the experiences in which the majority of athletes endure. Yes, I’m a three-sport athlete, but not a future Olympian. I participate in sports because the value of being on a team is unbeatable.

A study was conducted by Livestrong Foundation, an organization that provides support for people affected by cancer. Results showed that students who participated in sports scored 30 percent higher on standardized tests than those who did not.

I’m proud to say I get to compete alongside some of the most academically advanced students in the building. The Lake Conference is renowned for being home to many of the top-performing student athletes in the state.

Brad VanTatenhove, junior, believes you don’t have to be the best to redeem important qualities from sports.

“Being involved in sports has given me a time to think freely and just be

in my own world,” VanTatenhove said.

Teams have become a second family for me. If you add together the countless hours of sweaty hard work put in by athletes and coaches, you begin to realize that during the season you probably see your team more than you see your actual family.

“I’ve met some of my best friends on the cross-country team. I don’t think I would be such great friends with them if I hadn’t joined because that’s where I got to know them. Even if we don’t have anything else in common, we have that together,” said Dominique Brown, senior.

It is my fourth year running cross-country with Dominique and I can personally attest to the fact you get to know your teammates on an unprecedented level. The opportunity to meet those you may not typically associate with is great preparation for the future as you’ll be meeting people from all different backgrounds. Although at times it can be difficult, one learns how to work with others even when you don’t share many similarities.

There is always room to improve no matter what level you play at. One of the most rewarding experiences I’ve encountered is when I obtained my personal record on one of the most difficult cross-country courses. It was a true testament to the training I put in, making me appreciate the hard workouts I barely survived.

“Setting goals does not only benefit me personally, but also the team as a whole,” VanTatenhove said.

Personal accountability on a team is very important. When you hold yourself to the highest of standards, you demonstrate you are prepared to pursue a collective goal with your team.

Certain sports are more about personal victory, but the sense of community teammates bring can definitely make up for it. From crazy dress up days for spirit, to pasta parties, to team bonfires and outings, to achieving things you never thought possible, the unity I’ve felt from being a part of a team are experiences I will always value.

I’ve had the opportunity to participate in both individual and team sports. Although the experiences differ, I value both for many reasons.

Individual sports are sometimes more mental than they are physical because you are physically capable, but the real question is if you can believe that.

“I’ve met so many new people and have become good friends with them. Working together is what makes the team strong and tough to beat,” VanTatenhove said.

I would encourage anyone to join a sport, as you don’t have to be number one to benefit. Being involved allows you the chance to build relationships, promote a healthy lifestyle, and achieve things you didn’t know you were capable of.