Volleyball season ends in section semifinal defeat

• Seniors Samantha Swenson and Ruby Lord-Moreland wait for an oncoming serve

• The Royals wait for a teammate when coming together for a huddle

• Sophomore Jasmyn Martin and Samantha Ostenso serve as the Royals warm up for the match

• Samantha Swenson, Ruby Lord-Moreland and Jasmyn Martin set up at the net

• Royals celebrate after gaining a point off a kill

• A Royal celebration after gaining a point off the Trojans

• The Royals celebrate after a well earned point

• Senior captain Ingrid Werner serves for the Royals

• Seniors Audrey Erickson and Carissa Hilgers get ready to pass

• After loss to the Wayzata Trojans the Royals support each other on the court

Morgan Downing, Staff Reporter

Last night, the volleyball team lost in the section semifinals to the Wayzata Trojans 0-3.

In the first set, the Trojans ran out to a quick 9-1 lead. After a timeout, the Royals fought back and caused the game to go overtime. Despite the efforts of the Royals, Wayzata took the set by a score of 28-26.

In the second set, the Trojans again jumped out to a quick lead, but the Royals came back to tie the score at 20. However, the Trojans were able to push through and went on to win 25-20.

The third set was difficult for the Royals. The Trojans were leading 20-9 when the Royals called a quick timeout, came back strong, and brought the game within seven points. However, Wayzata ended the Royals 8-0 run and won the set and match 25-17.

Despite the hard loss to the Trojans, the Royals have many reasons to be pleased with their season including a 19-game winning streak and four consecutive tournament wins.

The Wayzata Trojans will play Eden Prairie on Saturday, Nov. 1 at Benilde-St. Margaret’s High School for the Lake Conference section title.