Player Profile: Luci Swift

May 24, 2017

Luci Swift, senior, captain, looks to pass ball to teammate. The Royals faced the Edina Hornets in this game.

provided by Luci Swift

Although pre-season injuries often result in long seasons on the bench, Luci Swift, senior, has made the most of her final season playing lacrosse, despite her injury.

Before, Swift played defense and midfield for the Royals, but more recently has taken over the job of playing goalie.

“I played a couple games, then had to sit out due to my foot. But later our goalie got injured, so I’m playing goalie for the remainder of the season, since I can’t run,” Swift said. “Playing goalie is fun, I’m actually really good at it.”

Swift’s comments are backed by her stats, as she is currently ninth in the state for goals given up, and 25th for save percentage.

Swift has had a short but sweet lacrosse career. Encouraged by friend and fellow teammate Sammi Galinson, senior, to go out for lacrosse sophomore year, Swift figured it would be an enjoyable sport, and something to do in the spring. Swift also plays basketball, and will continue to hoop at Macalester College next year.

Despite losing record for the Royals this season, Swift has made some of her favorite lacrosse memories her senior year alongside her teammates.

“Earlier this season we beat Wayzata in Overtime,that would have to be my favorite memory,” Swift said. “[This season we have a] great group of girls we are very energetic, and we get along very well.”

Swift’s pre-game rituals involved listening to music but not snacking, as she remarked she doesn’t like to eat before games.

Post season is coming up quick for the Royals, who have their first section game against Armstrong next week.

“We’re planning on beating Armstrong for our first section game, and then we’ll take it from there,” Swift said.