HHS Responds selects 2017-18 leadership

May 19, 2017

Miranda+Shapiro%2C+Naimo+Osman%2C+Ben+Herstigm%2C+and+Ilham+Nur%2C+juniors%2C+pose+with+Principal+Doug+Bullinger+after+being+chosen+as+next+years+HHS+Respond+leaders.+

Miranda Shapiro, Naimo Osman, Ben Herstigm, and Ilham Nur, juniors, pose with Principal Doug Bullinger after being chosen as next year’s HHS Respond leaders.

HHS Responds is a club which describes itself as a racially and culturally diverse group of students who seek to make HHS a more inclusive environment. They recently elected their 2017-2018 leadership team in congruence with this mission statement.

Next year, Miranda Shapiro, Benjamin Herstig, Ilham Nur and Naimo Osman, juniors, will take over for La’ Dajia Davis, senior, who has acted as one of the presidents of the club since its founding two years ago.

HHS Responds has been making an impact at HHS throughout the school year by way of their projects. Their Fishbowl discussions, where students come together in a comfortable environment to discuss controversial topics, have drawn large and diverse attendance.

“I joined HHS Responds after they held their first fishbowl after the election. There were people from all perspectives of the political spectrum, I thought it was cool how they were able to bring a lot of people together,” Shapiro said.

Next year, the new leaders hope to continue the fishbowl tradition while building on everything the club has done thus far.

“We’re definitely planning on doing at least two more fishbowls next year, we just need some good topics, and I’m sure that those will come up [in the next year],” Herstig said. “I’m hoping to get a fundraiser or two going possibly.”

Throughout the year, Mr. Tim Owen, World Language and adviser of HHS Responds, consistently spoke with the senior leaders to identify students they thought could effectively lead next year. He’s excited for the direction he believes the new leadership will lead the club toward.

They [next year’s leaders] are passionate and are committed to unifying and empowering our diverse population. I’m so impressed by their commitment to bringing people together rather than dividing us.  At the same time, they speak the truth,” Owen said.