Recap of first half of synchro sections

May 18, 2017

Ellen+Mattson%2C+sophomore%2C+doing+a+ballet+leg+during+her+routine.+

provided by Lily Smith

Ellen Mattson, sophomore, doing a ballet leg during her routine.

The Royals synchronized swimming team participated in the West Sections Figures meet on Tuesday, May 16 in Prior Lake.

In a figures meet, a panel of judges critique each swimmer on technical merit. At the end of the meet, the scoring totals are added up and awarded points are awarded to each team.

The Royals swam against the Blake Bears, Wayzata Trojans, Eden Prairie Eagles, and the Prior Lake Lakers.

Because there were so many different teams there, the meet was divided into three “flights.” A flight consisted of 50 people, and each flight had a different time to swim.

Though they finished the “figures” portion of the meet, the results of the West Sections meet will not be announced until Saturday, May 20.

“I think a lot of the younger girls did really well. It was amazing to see their improvement throughout the school year,” said Alyssa Peck, junior.

On Saturday, the “routines” portion of the West Sections meet will take place. Routines are scored by a panel of judges for artistic impression and technical merit.

Each team’s routine scores and figure scores will be combined to create a total. Swimmers who take top four in routine and figures will advance to the state meet on Thursday-Friday, May 25-26.

“I am really excited for our routine meet on Saturday. We will have swam in the Prior Lake pool now, so I think we are going to perform even better. We still need to make a few changes as a team, but we are definitely excited,” Peck said.